More than 120 museums with history and stories await the visitor along the Castle Road. In addition to the museums of the castles and palaces along the route, the diverse museum landscape covers various topics and presentations.
The collection of the Egyptian Institute was planned to present the life of the Egyptians and their religious beliefs as widespread as possible.
Telefon +49 (0) 62 21/ 54 25 333
Albrecht Dürer's House, which has recently been restored, presents the living and working quarters of one of the most famous painters and graphicartists in art history, namely Albrecht Dürer (1471-1528), in a new concept. Valuable copies of Dürer's paintings will be presented in the newly created "Dürer Hall". In the Cabinet of Prints and Drawings special exhibitions will display treasures from the large number of holdings in the graphics collection of the Nuremberg Museum. And finally, Agnes Dürer, his wife, takes you through the master's house via an audioguide in several languages and even personally in special tours.
Telefon +49 (0) 9 11/ 2 31 25 68
A look inside the cottage from 1270 is a wonderful experience, as the centuries seem to have left it untouched. In eleven originally furnished rooms and cubbyholes is impressively shown - from the ground floor up to the attic - how a simple artisan lived and worked here with his large family a few centuries ago.
Alter Stadtgraben 26
91541 Rothenburg ob der Tauber
Telefon +49 (0) 98 61/ 58 10
One of the largest archaeological collections assembled at a German university, the holdings provide a broad overview of Antique Mediterranean cultures from 3,000 BC through to the time of the Roman Empire.
Antikenmuseum und Abgußsammlung
Telefon +49 (0) 62 21/ 54 25 12
"Frederick the Great" Army Museum displays the history of the Hohenzollern territories in Franconia from the 12th to 19th centuries which are on display in 32 glass cases. It documents the outward appearance and inner structure of an army which altered the course of history on the battlefields of 18th century Europe and focuses in particular on the time of Frederick the Great (1740-1786).The infantry and cavalry are described in detail, as well as the social structure of the troops. The main exhibits are firearms, swords, flags and paintings. The museum was established jointly with the collector and historian Bernd Windsheimer.
Armeemuseum Friedrich der Große
Plassenburg, Festungsberg 26
Telefon +49 (0) 92 21 82 20-20
Telefax +49 (0) 92 21 82 20-26
Exhibition "Historical garden and work tools"
The exhibition of historical garden tools in the former storage room shows a collection of garden tools and vehicles from the 19th and early 20th centuries that were in use in the Palace Garden.
Further information (only in German)
Ausstellung "Historische Garten- und Arbeitsgeräte"
ehemaliges Baumagazin im Schlossgarten
Automobilmuseum Dr. Carl Benz
From Mannheim, it is particularly worthwhile for classic car enthusiasts to make a detour to Ladenburg. With the unique charm of a factory in the architectural style of the Wilhelminian period, the Dr. Carl Benz Automuseum is a lasting reminder of the inventor of the automobile. In six areas with over 120 vehicles, you can experience the history of mobility directly, as if you had been there yourself.
In the gallery, the exhibition has been expanded to include a section on the history of two-wheeled vehicles. A separate hall is dedicated to motor sports. Here they stand together once again, the former rivals of the race tracks.
Further information (only in German)
Automuseum Dr. Carl Benz
Ilvesheimer Straße 26
Telefon +49 (0) 6203 181786
Already in the Middle Ages people would literally strongly dress up prior to the enjoyment of culture.
The landmarked "Kulmbacher Badhaus" is completely renovated and informs about the traditions of the bathing culture. It also provides space for changing art exhibitions.
Telefon +49 (0) 92 21/ 94 02 10
Telefax +49 (0) 92 21/ 92 84 20
When it comes to Bonsai trees and plants, this center has something for everyone. The term “bonsai” stands for a tree or shrubbery which is planted in a flat bowl and shaped and groomed so that it looks similar to a large tree. Visitors can also enjoy viewing colourful koi carp in special ponds and even buy the koi of their choice.
Mannheimer Straße 401, Heidelberg-Wieblingen
Telefon +49 (0) 62 21/ 75 70 762
In 2011 the "Deutscher Burgenwinkel" was opened in the former school in Altenstein in the district of Maroldsweisach. This information centre presents multimedia-based the life in a medieval castle.
July to September and during the bavarian Easter and Whitsun holidays:
Wednesday to Sunday and public holidays 10am to 5pm
October to June:
Saturday, Sunday and public holidays 10am to 5pm
Entrance: with costs
Telefon +49 (0) 95 35 /18 89 89 2
The exhibition "living in a knight's castle" with exhibits from the middle ages up to the 19th century presents its visitors the history of the Barons of Gemmingen. How did you become a knight? What belonged to a knight's armament? Why were castles built? And how did the occupants of former centuries use to live? The castle's museum gives exciting answers and invides the visitor to an entertaining time travel including meetings with knights, reformers, diplomatic warlords and passionated hunters. Highlight of the castle-experience is the incomparable panoramic sight above the Neckar-valley from the 40 meters high tower.
Burgmuseum in der Burg Guttenberg
Telefon +49 (0) 62 66/ 3 88
Telefax +49 (0) 62 66/ 92 88 60
Heidelberg’s Carl Bosch Museum and its futuristic Museum am Ginkgo offer highly interesting glimpses into the life of the Heidelberg Nobel Prize laureate Carl Bosch (1874 – 1940). The Museum am Ginkgo annex provides additional space for special exhibits.
Carl Bosch Museum
Telefon +49 (0) 62 21 60 36 16
Founded in 1882, today's DB Museum is the oldest railway museum in the world. A 6,600 square metre exhibition tells the story of railways in Germany.
The original vehicles are a magnet for the public. Around 40 rail legends await visitors in two halls. In addition, there is a 15,000 square metre outdoor area and a show depot with treasures from the museum's collections. The modelarium shows over 2000 models, from historic vehicles on a scale of 1:5 to a miniature 1:700 locomotive. The famous Adler locomotive is also revived as a digital model.
Younger visitors should not miss the Children's Railway Land, KIBALA for short. Everything that makes children's hearts beat faster can be found there: Numerous interactive stations and the KIBALA Express invite children to play and learn.
Telefon +49 (0) 800 32687386
The German Pharmacy Museum's collection of over 20.000 objects represents the rich history of medical sciences, especially the history of pharmacy. Housed in one of Germany's architectural landmarks, the Heidelberg Castle, their collection is worldwide the largest and finest in existence, spanning two thousand years of pharmacy history.
Deutsches Apothekenmuseum - derzeit Corona bedingt geschlossen
Telefon +49 (0) 62 21/ 2 58 80
German Car Museum Langenburg Castle
"People, cars and history" is the motto of the German Automobile Museum Langenburg. Not only cars are presented, but also motorcycles and stories about important personalities in the automotive industry. The exhibits change regularly. So there is something new to discover every time you visit. The museum is housed in the former royal stables not far from the castle.
Deutsches Automuseum Schloss Langenburg
Telefon +49 (0) 7905 / 94190-34
The German Castle Museum, located at Veste Heldburg, is unique in its concept and examines the phenomenon castle with all of its facets. In sixteen rooms the history of the German and international castle building is presented, as well as the life back then in the castle, the different uses and the many myths about the subject "castle". Five further rooms pay attention to the Veste Heldburg and its eventful history.
Veste Heldburg, Burgstraße 1
Telefon +49 (0) 3 68 71/ 2 12 10
Housed in a converted church building, Europe’s only packaging museum features outstanding specimens from the history of packaging. The package of the products mirrors the development of our society. The various functions of uses for packaging are presented as well as their historical development.
Hauptstraße 22 (Innenhof)
Telefon +49 (0) 62 21/ 2 13 61
The year-round exhibition, which is located in the first floor of the Christmas town of Käthe Wohlfahrt, gives interesting facts about the history of the festival and about the development of the decoration. Among the exhibits are Christmas tree decorations made of glass, cotton wool, cardboard, tragant and wire as well as mangers, Christmas pyramides, light figures, incense smokers and last but not least 150 historical Santa Claus figures.
91541 Rothenburg ob der Tauber
Telefon +49 (0) 98 61/ 40 93 65
The German museum of pewter figures at the Plassenburg is the largest in the world - 300,000 individual figures in 150 dioramas portray the history of mankind. Furthermore, the biggest diorama of the world is here. The 40 square metre diorama, which shows the destruction of Kulmbach from 1553 with 19.385 figures, entered the Guiness book of records in 1998.
Deutsches Zinnfigurenmuseum Plassenburg
Telefon +49 (0) 92 21 / 80 45 71
Telefax +49 (0) 92 21 80 45 79
Diocesan Museum - in the former chapter house by Balthasar Neumann the Diocesan Museum shows the sacred splendour of former centuries. The main attraction is the museum's internationally prominent collection of mediaeval textiles, including the so-called imperial cloak that belonged to Heinrich II and Kunigunde, the Gunther Cloth and Clemens II.'s papal regalia. Additional exhibits include liturgical items such as the 12th century Easter candlestick, a 12th century portable altar, goblets, ostensories, crucifixes and an 18th century silver procession madonna.
Diözesanmuseum des Erzbistums
Telefon +49 (0) 951 / 50 23-16
Telefax +49 (0) 951/ 50 23-20
The exhibitions impressively document the history of the persecution of the Sinti and Roma during the Nazi era. First-hand accounts by survivors and their biographies are the focal point of the permanent exhibition.
Dokumentations- und Kulturzentrum Deutscher Sinti und Roma
Telefon +49 (0) 62 21/ 98 11 02
Documentation Centre Nazi Party Rally Grounds - in the Third Reich Nuremberg was the "City of the Nazi Party Rallies". The north wing of the unfinished Congress Hall on the former Nazi Party Rally grounds, designed by the National Socialists to accommodate 50,000 people, is now occupied by the Documentation Centre Nazi Party Rally Grounds. The permanent exhibition "Fascination and Terror" deals with the causes, contexts and consequences of the National Socialist tyranny within an exhibition space of 1,300 m2. The exhibition continues outside, with large panels providing supplementary information on the history of each venue along the Nazi Party Rally Grounds.
Telefon +49 (0) 9 11/ 2 31 75 38
E.T.A. Hofmann's House - in 2003 the narrow dwelling house of the author and composer E.T.A. Hoffmann was reshaped into a modern literature museum. Hoffmann occupied the second floor and loft with the "poet's little room" which is still furnished as it might have been in Hoffmann's day. The other rooms are filled with information and displays as well as installations on the author's life and work. A loge with scenery designs is reminiscent of Hoffmann's opera "Undine", whilst the interactive truth microscope links in with a motif from the fairytale "Meister Floh" (Master Flea). A mirror cabinet illustrates the artist's diversity.
Telefon +49 (0) 9 51 / 29 76-200
The exhibition on Joseph Freiherr von Eichendorff (1788-1857), the famous poet of the Romantic period, is on display on the second floor of the Unesco Geopark Centre Bergstraße-Odenwald. The latest findings of renowned Eichendorff researchers are also presented.
The starting point is the 19-year-old law student's stay in Heidelberg from 1807 to 1808, where he went on hikes through the Neckar valley with like-minded friends. From his records it is known that he was in Neckarsteinach at least twice. With exuberant imagination he describes his feelings when climbing the four castles. Further information (only in German)
Telefon +49 (0) 62 29/708-914
One of the most powerful castle complexes in Bavaria offers an exhibition space of a journey into medieval times on over 1,500 m². How did the Hohenzollerns govern, sleep and fight in Franconia and Brandenburg 600 years ago? - The exhibition dares to bridge the gap between the Middle Ages and modern times and includes its visitors actively through games, media applications and different stations where you can actually get involved and feel. The rich event calendar ranges from programmes for children over lectures up to medieval cooking classes.
Telefon +49 (0) 9103 70086-15
The experimenta is the biggest science center in Southern Germany. It is said that the experimenta makes it possible to experience the fascination technics by combining exhibition and laboratories. The concept enables children and youth but also adults to get an insight into the wide areas of science. Moreover, the experimenta offers in addition to the current activities all-year series of lectures, workshops and shows about technical and scientific topics.
The science center can be found in Heilbronn directly at the river neckar, close to the inner city. The city parking garage with its 500 car parks is located in the opposite of the science center.
Experimenta - Lern- und Erlebniswelt
Telefon +49 (0) 71 31/ 88 79 50
Telefax +49 (0) 71 31/ 88 79 59 00
Factory Museum of the Leonean Industry - varied products as sieves, uniform effects, Christmas decoration and decorations for ships were made of aureated, silvered or galvanised copper wires. The Leonean Industry was the pre-stage for the cable industry which has developed into an important high tech branch. Because of the successful representation of the manufacturing of leonean goods and related products the Factory Museum was distinguished in 2003 with the Bavarian museum price. Most exhibits are in a functioning state.
Fabrikmuseum der Leonischen Industrie
Obere Mühle 4
Telefon +49 (0) 91 71/ 6 05 64
The new experience museum is an enlargement to the Palatinate museum of Forchheim. It carries the visitor off on a time trip to the 16th century. Orchestrations, text boards and radio plays tell from 200 years of fortress' history.
Forchheim: Erlebnismuseum ROTE MAUER
Telefon +49 (0) 91 91/ 714-327
The Palatine Museum in Forchheim inside the "Imperial Palace" is divided into the sections "City Museum" , "Archaeology Museum Upper Franconia" and "Traditional Costume Museum".
The City Museum takes its visitors through 1200 years of Forchheim's history and development, the Archaeology Museum Upper Franconia presents over 600 exhibits from the Stone Age settlement up to the turning point of the industrial revolution and the Traditional Costume Museum displays a varied collection of original clothing from the Franconian Switzerland.
Telefon +49 (0) 91 91/ 714-326 (Kasse)
Franconian Gallery in the Rosenberg Fortress
The branch museum of the Bavarian National Museum presents in the South wing of the fortress Rosenberg, erected according to plans of Balthasar Neumann, masterpieces of Franconian painting and sculptures of 1300 up to the first half of the 16th century. Each room is dedicated to sculptures of Tilman Riemenschneider himself or to his workshop and also to the works of Lucas Cranach the elder, the most famous son of the city. Further information
Fränkische Galerie in der Festung Rosenberg
Telefon +49 (0) 92 61/ 60 41-0
Telefax +49 (0) 92 61/ 60 41-18
The museum is close to the Wahnfried house, the house in which Richard Wagner used to live, and it shows a completion of the documentation of the most important era in the musical scenery of Bayreuth. The exhibition orients itself on the life and work of Franz Liszts whose music accompanies the visitors in the museum.
Telefon +49 (0) 9 21/ 51 66 48 8
Frederick the Great Museum
The black and white flag on the listed old Franconian farmhouse dating from the 17th century indicates a special feature of the Baden-Württemberg museum landscape. In the former Electoral Palatinate village of Steinsfurt, and not in Berlin or Brandenburg, is the only museum that provides information about the life and work of the Prussian King Frederick the Great (1712-1786). In the life of this important Prussian king, the Steinsfurt half-timbered farm was a prominent site. It was here that his attempt to escape failed in the early hours of August 5, 1730.
Since 1975 the youth and reign of the "Old Fritz" has been extensively depicted in paintings, graphics, letters, display boards and other exhibits in the museum courtyard "Lerchennest". Two large dioramas, each with more than 2000 pewter figures, porcelain busts, uniforms and memorabilia from the possession of the Prussian King, as well as a remarkable collection of coins and medals, are jewels of the museum.
Friedrich der Große Museum - Lerchennest
Memorial site of Friedrich Rückert - the poet and orientalist born in 1788 in Schweinfurt lived up to his death in 1866 in an estate in Neuses near Coburg. The intact study and poetry room is open to the public as a memorial site. The monument in the adjacent Rückert park reminds of the writer who wrote thousands of poems - an extensive work of wonderful, crazy, moving, and also lost poems of German literature.
Telefon +49 (0) 95 61/ 66 308
The garden documentary in the south circle building provides information about the origin and development of the palace garden of Schwetzingen. Further information (only in German)
Südliches Zirkelgebäude im Schlossgarten
Market Gardeners' and Wine-Growers Museum - the working life of the market gardeners and wine-growers is revealed at the Market Gardeners' and Wine-Growers Museum. Set in a typical 18th century market gardeners' house, the museum comprises the furnished rooms of the market gardeners, and the flags and staffs of the market gardeners' and wine-growers' guild, which document their religious lives. In the market garden, liquorice is cultivated in keeping with old traditions. Liquorice was an important commodity well into the 18th century.
Gärtner- und Häckermuseum
Telefon +49 (0) 951/ 30 17 94 55
Since its founding in 1852 the Germanisches Nationalmuseum has advanced to one of the largest museums of culturalhistory in the German-speaking world. A visit to this treasure chest is almost obligatory for any trip to Nuremberg. It offers ever new discoveries, even for those who come more often to stroll through cultural history, starting with the Pre- and Protohistory section and ranging all the way to the present. Particular highlights include works of Albrecht Dürer, Veit Stoß and Rembrandt, the earliest surviving terrestrial globe, the first pocket watch in the world as well as the largest collection of historical musical instrument in Europe.
Telefon +49 (0) 9 11/ 1 33 1-0
Gößweinstein is the most important place of pilgrimage to Most Holy Trinity in Germany and it comprises more than 100 life-sized human wax figures, a testimony to special traditions. The modern museum, that is located in the former Mesner house and school next to the basilica, opened in 2008 and is dedicated to pilgrimage and devoutness history of the village.
Telefon +49 (0) 92 42/ 74 04 25
Telefax +49 (0) 92 42/ 74 04 32
The museum, opened in 1994, gives insight into the oldest parts of the town: fundaments, wall fragments and a painted reconstruction of the churchyard with the Geyers tower, school and provost's church of the middle ages. It documents a part of the town's history on the grounds of the former churchyard of the Moriz church.
Grabungsmuseum am Kirchhof
Telefon +49 (0) 95 61/ 89 14 74
The Museum in the medieval city centre shows history, art and culture of the former Imperial city Schwäbisch Hall and its surrounding on more than 3000 square meters. It includes over seven connected historical buildings with the Keckenturm, an eight-storey residential tower as the centre, and it is based on the collection of the historical society for Württemberg Franconia.
74523 Schwäbisch Hall
Telefon +49 (0) 7 91/ 751-289
Telefax +49 (0) 7 91/ 751-305
House of City History - Otto Rettenmaier House
The House of City History - Otto Rettenmaier House - is located in the building complex of the Deutschhof. It bears its name in honour of the achievements of the businessman with regard to the city archive. Under the title "Historical Heilbronn! People, places, stories", a multimedia time travel through 1200 years of city history from the first mention up to the becoming a modern big city is given. Thereby, history becomes an experience.
Haus der Stadtgeschichte - Otto Rettenmaier Haus
Telefon Tel. 07131 56-2290
Telefax 07131 56-3195
The House of Franconian History - The museum in the 2nd and 3rd floor of Abenberg's Castle offers historical experiences for the whole family. The permanent exhibition invites to a time travel through Franconia from the Middle Ages until today. Stagings, light effects and modern media illustrate the historically grown diversity of Franconia. Special exhibitions commit themselves to Franconian art, culture and history.
A rich museum-pedagogical program is offered for kindergardens, school classes and birthdays.
Haus fränkischer Geschichte
Telefon +49 (0) 91 78/ 90 61 8
Telefax +49 (0) 91 78/ 90 51 85
Under the direction of the young Dane Johan Holten, one of Germany’s oldest art societies, has set itself the task of discovering international art and putting it on display in the context of current events. The Heidelberg Art Society received the ADKV-Art Cologne Prize in 2009. When presenting the award the Work Group of German Art Societies (Arbeitsgemeinschaft Deutscher Kunstvereine) praised Heidelberg society’s “excellent exhibition practice and program for attracting people to art.”
Telefon +49 (0) 62 21/ 18 40 86
In the local history museum, the geology of the Zenne valley with dinosaur tracks, a cobbler's workshop, blank weapons and traditional costumes are on display.
Its foundation walls, which show traces of Romanesque architecture, are probably the oldest buildings in Langenzenn. The sandstone basement belonged to the former cemetery chapel, which was dedicated to the archangel Michael. In 1622 the cemetery was moved outside the town and a new chapel was consecrated. The former church was extended by a half-timbered storey and became a Latin school. The upper floor was used as a teacher's flat until 1815, later it became private property and was used as a residential building. In 1963 the house was sold to the town of Langenzenn with the proviso that a museum of local history would be established there.
As an extension, the Fronveste belongs to the museum of local history. In the building, which was erected in 1757, you can see the historical furnishings of the town pharmacy from 1557 as well as exhibits and pictures on the town's history.
Heimatmuseum & Fronveste
Local Museum at the Grauturm - the museum is located right next to the imposing landmark Grauturm in the Hassberge. The museum is interactive: you are allowed to sit on a school bench from the 40s and to touch things and you do not have to walk on tiptoes. This lovely museum encloses all areas of the existence like habitation, household, craft, agriculture, church, schools and associations. 3.000 butterfly preparations illustrate the variety of European species.
Heimatmuseum am Grauturm
Telefon +49 (0) 9531 4756
The former apartment of Nuremberg's executioner is located directly above the river. Medieval legal and criminal history is presented there. The diary of the most famous executioner of the city, Franz Schmidt, provides a deep insight into the daily life of Nuremberg as an Imperial city around 1600.
Telefon +49 (0) 9 11/ 30 73 60
The historc vaults with the state dungeon illustrate the overall situation of Rothenburg ob der Tauber during the era of the Thirty Years' War. The entrance hall is suggestive of Rothenburg's defence readiness as a Free Imperial City in the 17th century. A guardroom from 1631, which was located in the six archways of the city, was realistically reproduced. In the dark and gloomy state dungeon, which is situated under the town hall, the inhuman prison conditions of former times can still be experienced today.
91541 Rothenburg ob der Tauber
Telefon +49 (0) 98 61/ 8 67 51
Telefon +49 (0) 9 11/ 244 98 59
Stored in the Historical Art Bunker beneath the Kaiserburg, irreplaceable art treasures survived the bombing raids of the Second World War unscathed. These include the Angel's Greeting by Veit Stoß from the Lorenzkirche, the Krakow Altar of the Virgin Mary also by Veit Stoß, the art clock "Das Männleinlaufen" from the Frauenkirche and works by Albrecht Dürer.
The bunker complex, which is unique in Germany, is part of the underground passages that have existed since the Middle Ages, up to 24 metres below the surface, and were built primarily for storing beer. Shortly after the start of the war in 1940, the City of Nuremberg began to equip some of the rock passages with an ingenious system for ventilation, heating and drainage, thus creating the conditions for saving the valuable art objects. A large part of the installations can still be visited today. Film and audio documents show the demise of the medieval Nuremberg. Guided tours take place regularly.
Historischer Kunstbunker im Burgberg
Obere Schmiedgasse 52
Telefon +49 (0) 9 11/ 2 30 55 92
The Historical Museum Bayreuth in the Old Latin School at the church square offers the visitor a wealth of interesting information about the history of Bayreuth. 34 exhibition rooms with 1,200 square meters on three levels deal in detail with all essential aspects of Bayreuth's urban development - from the economy to culture to major politics.
Telefon +49 (0) 921/ 76 40-111
The museum in the Old Court at the Domplatz documents culture and history of Bamberg from prehistory up to the 20th century. Next to the permanent gallery "100 masterworks. From Lucas Cranach over Pieter Breughel to Otto Modersohn" and the exhibition "Culture of the citizen of Bamberg in 19th century" a special exhibition prize-winning from UNESCO "In the river of history. Bambergs lifeline Regnitz" is presented. Additionally there are special exhibitions regularly and during the christmas time there is a crib exhibition.
On account of varied creative projects and join in offers, the museum can be explored quite interactively by which everybody can form his visit individually. Children can even celebrate birthday parties here.
In der Alten Hofhaltung, Domplatz 7
Telefon +49 (0) 9 51 / 51 90 74 6
Telefax +49 (0) 9 51/ 87 14 64
The museum is only a few steps away from the Cadolzburg Castle. The ensemble consists of a building from the years 1670-74 and the neighbouring "Püttrichhaus".
Under the motto "The house as a monument" the museum building tells its own story as an example of medieval architecture. Other main topics are the local history and the life of Johann Georg Pisendel. This famous son of Cadolzburg was the most important German violin virtuoso of the late baroque period, who worked for many years in the Dresden court chapel and counted Georg Philipp Telemann, Johann Sebastian Bach and Antonio Vivaldi among his friends.
Historisches Museum Cadolzburg
Telefon +49 (0) 91 03/ 78 86
The "Stonehouse" is supposed to have been the bower of the Staufer imperial castle. Today it hosts a museum that focuses on the history of the imperial palace Wimpfen, the Hohenstaufen and the medieval art of masonry and pottery. Furthermore, discoveries from the New Stone Age and the Roman era are shown. The association "Alt Wimpfen" is the funding provider.
Historisches Museum im Steinhaus
74206 Bad Wimpfen
Telefon +49 (0) 70 63/ 97 20-0
Telefax +49 (0) 70 63/ 97 20-20
The heart of the museum is the Cabinet of Art and Rarities. The fully functional Late Medieval castle kitchen in its original condition from 1495 serves as an attraction. The collection of arms and armory in the imperial hall, the sacred art, the splendidly furnished knight's hall and the ancient dwellings present the large span of this significant collection.
Hohenlohe-Museum Schloss Neuenstein
Telefon +49 (0) 7942/ 2209 und +49 (0) 7941/ 6099-0
Telefax +49 (0) 7941/ 6099-20
Hohenlohe Open Air Museum
The museum village in the Schwäbisch Hall district of Wackershofen lies nestled in a beautiful hilly landscape. It includes 70 reconstructed buildings from four centuries, which were originally located in different places of the region. The faithfully furnished houses, old breeds of domestic animals, days of action like "cooking in old farmhouse kitchens" as well as craftsmen shows take the visitors back in time.
74523 Schwäbisch Hall
Telefon +49 (0) 7 91/ 97 10 10
The Industrial Museum of Lauf, founded in 1992, presents the world of work and life from the industrial history in 14 listed buildings on 4000 squaremeters - a unique experience in Bavaria. Highlights include the historical rye mill, a waterpowered hammer mill, a big tandem steam enginge and a completely preserved shutdown factory site.
Sichartstraße 5 - 25
91207 Lauf an der Pegnitz
Telefon +49 (0) 91 23/ 99 03-0
Telefax +49 (0) 91 23/ 99 03-13
The museum, located in a former dwelling of Richard Wagner's daughter Eva, deals with the poet Jean Paul who lived in Bayreuth from 1804 until his death in 1825. The basis of the museum was provided by Dr. Philipp Hausser who gathered the most important private collection about the life and work of the poet.
Telefon +49 (0) 9 21/ 50 71 444
The elaborate overall renovation of the Johanniterkirche (a secularized church building from the 12th century) has now been completed. As the associated gallery of Kunsthalle Würth, Johanniterkirche is now the ideal home for the collection of Old Masters within the Würth Collection. Some preserved exhibits of its former equipment could be returned as permanent loans. The phenomenal Family of Wild People by Lucas Cranach the Elder and a whole range of works from his workshop with religious scenes, secular didactic works and portraits have survived. Numerous panel paintings by the Master of Meßkirch or the panels of the highly significant St. Anthony altarpiece by the Zurich Master of the Pansies have to be emphasized as well.
Im Weiler 1
74523 Schwäbisch Hall
Telefon +49 (0) 791/ 946 723-30
The Imperial Castle Museum, an external branch of the Germanic National Museum, located in the Kemenate, presents an exhibition over 300 square meters that pursues the historical role and the changing tasks of the Nuremberg Imperial Castle. The main focus of the exhibition lies on arms and armours, riding equipment and astronomical measurement equipment. But there are also objects for festive or daily occasions that are associated with the Nuremberg Castle. Other rooms of the castle are connected through the weapons collection.
The museum offers guided tours for visitors of any age.
Auf der Kaiserburg
Telefon +49 (0) 9 11/ 13 31-238
Casemates and Water Supply - deep inside the castle bastions, at the level of the moat, is a network of high vaulted passageways known as casements. With their strategically located embrasures and sally-ports, these passages were intended both for defense and for counter-attack. Directly beneath the Tiergärtnertor, a rock-cut stairway connects the sixteenth century fortifications with a medieval system of water-supply conduits, the so-called "Lochwasserleitung". The tunnels(whose locations were a closely guarded secret) served to collect and conduct water. The secret tunnels through the sandstone bedrock were first mentioned in 1459 and were still of use in the 20th century.
Kasematten und Lochwasserleitung
Auf der Kaiserburg
Telefon +49 (0) 9 11/ 2 30 55 92
Telefax +49 (0) 911 / 2 30 55
Home of the poet Justinus Kerner - A truly peculiar house can be found when visiting the former residence of the doctor and poet of the Romanticism Justinus Kerner. Here he received numerous outstanding personalities of his time. Kerner's meticulously kept guest list includes names such as Count Alexander von Württemberg and David Friedrich Strauss. On the upper floor today you can admire the family's originally furnished living rooms, which reflect the living atmosphere of the 19th century. An attraction is the "coffin room" as well as the ghost tower in the garden.
Öhringer Straße 3
Telefon +49 (0) 71 34/ 25 53
Telefax +49 (0) 71 34/ 25 53
Special highlights of the collections from the sacral treasures are the memorial boards of the Dominican monastery, valuable chalices, textiles, books and certificates and also an impressive number of epitaphs from the protestant town church.
Kirchenhistorisches Museum in der Pfalzkapelle
74206 Bad Wimpfen
Telefon +49 (0) 70 63/ 97 20-0
Telefax +49 (0) 70 63/ 97 20-20
Lace-making was for many centuries the most important line of business in Abenberg. The exhibition shows glorious lace in gold and silver, handmade evening dresses and liturgical robes. It illustrates the hard conditions of the lace-making women. Additionally, there are special exhibitions. Every sunday from 2 pm to 4 pm you can watch a woman making lace.
Klöppelmuseum auf Burg Abenberg
Telefon +49 (0) 91 78/ 90 61 8
Telefax +49 (0) 91 78/ 90 51 85
Mannheim Art Hall
The collection of the Kunsthalle Mannheim is one of the most renowned civic collections in Germany, with top works ranging from Edouard Manet to Francis Bacon. The new museum complex with its spectacular new building was opened in 2018. Further information
Telefon +49 (0) 621/ 293-6423
Telefax +49 (0) 621/ 293-6412
Art Gallery Vogelmann
In the exhibition hall of the municipal museums of Heilbronn and the art association, which was designed by the Zurich architect Felipe Rodriguéz, these two traditional institutions have mergend into one location. Changing exhibitions are to be seen on three floors with over 800 m² space. Moreover, the Art Gallery Vogelmann is regularly the stage of a varied programme with guided tours, artist talks as well as workshops.
Telefon +49 (0) 71 31/56-4420
Telefax +49 (0) 71 31/56-3194
The private museum was founded by the entrepreneur Reinhold Würth. It shows changing exhibitions from the Würth collection whose basis he laid in the 1960s. Today, it includes about 12.500 works of art. Large exhibitions of major artists are presented as well as exciting theme-based exhibitions. The impressive building was constructed by the Danish architect Henning Larsen. In their branch at the Johanniterhalle, the art gallery Würth shows "Old masters of the collection Würth".
Lange Straße 35
74523 Schwäbisch Hall
Telefon +49 (0) 7 91/ 94 67 20
The museum in Bayreuth's old town hall accommodates different trusts and collections which concentrate on print grafical works of the 20th century. Temporary exhibits present comprehensive inventories of different topics.
Altes Rathaus, Maximilianstraße 33
Telefon +49 (0) 9 21/ 7 64 53-10
Art Collection of the Veste Coburg - the Veste Coburg is one of the biggest castle buildings of Germany and accommodated guests like the reformer Luther who worked here for his Bible translation. Today, the castle contains one of the most important art- and cultural-historical collections of Germany with exhibits of the highest quality. Among the rest, the museum encloses the Hall of Hunting Weapons and a Glass Collection as well as a Hall of Coaches and Sledgescarriage. The Art of the German Renaissance with paintings of Lucas Cranach, Dürer or Holbein is also to be seen among the artworks.
Kunstsammlungen der Veste Coburg
Telefon +49 (0) 95 61/ 879-0
Changing exhibitions with contemporary art as well as recitals, concerts and workshops
Kunstverein Coburg Ausstellungspavillon
Pavillon des Kunstvereins im Hofgarten, Approach via Leopoldstraße
Palatinate Museum - The museum's collections of art and cultural history are located in the Palais Morass built in 1712. The museum's attractions include portraits of the Prince Electors, an outstanding collection of coins, and the famous collection of Frankenthal porcelain. The pride of the museum's gallery of sculptures and paintings (15th-20th century) is Tilman Riemenschneider's "Windsheim Altar" dated 1509, depicting the Twelve Apostles. Another focal point of the museum is the documentation of Heidelberg's history.
Telefon +49 (0) 62 21/ 58 34 020
"Upper Main Landscape Museum" - Numerous memorabilia and presentations lead through the west wing of Plassenburg Castle. The museum of rural life pursues artistically and culturally significant exhibits from the Upper Main region. Among its great treasures are the famous "Pörbitscher Schatz", burial mounds or the museum of spices. With computers, acustic images and videostagings the museum is particularly lively designed.
Landschaftsmuseum Obermain Plassenburg
Telefon +49 (0) 92 21/ 80 45 71
In the upper floor of the "House of Guests", former forestry office, the collection of barkeeper Carl Langbein (1816 - 1881) is presented. In the middle of the 19th century, he started to collect natural produces and antiques. The collection includes, among others, objects of the Hirschhorn Carmelite monastery, which was dissolved in 1803. For example parts of the monastery library. Further information (only in German)
Telefon +49 (0) 62 72/ 69 22
Telefax +49 (0) 62 72/ 91 23 51
According to the Guinessbook of records "the most comprehensive beer museum of the world". It is located in the historical head office of the brewery Brothers Maisel. It is built in brick-lined style of the period of promoterism. Next to the completely conserved brewery with its historical brewing machine at original places also collections of rare enamle signs, beer glases and beer coasters belong to the living museum.
Telefon +49 (0) 921 401-234
Telefax +49 (0) 921 401-233
Mannheim Art Association
The exhibition program presents mainly contemporary art of all genres and directions, supplemented by exhibitions of established art and special events. Further Information (only in German)
Augusta-Anlage 58 / Carl-Reiss-Platz
Telefon +49 (0) 6 21/ 40 22 08
The museum presents the town's history and the history of the princedom Ansbach. The collections comprehend,among others, creations of the court painter of Ansbach and a coins- and medal hall in a building complex from the 14th to 18th century. On the ground floor of the main building the Kasper-Hauser-departement is dedicated to the "foundling of Europe" who was killed in 1833 in Ansbach.
Telefon +49 (0) 9 81/ 977 50 56
Memorium Nuremberg Trials - in the criminal court of the Nuremberg Palace of Justice world history was written: On November 20, 1945 the trial against the "main war criminals" began in the criminal court, "Courtroom 600". 21 leading representatives of the National Socialist regime were made to answer for their crimes against peace and humanity. More than 60 years after the trials a permanent exhibition has been opened at the original site to provide relevant information on the background, proceedings and consequences. Historic sound and film footage convey a vivid impression of the trials. The significance of the trials for the development of modern international criminal law made "Courtroom 600" world famous. Guided tours inform about the historical court place and the "Nuremberg processes". The courtroom is also used - even today - for hearings.
Memorium Nürnberger Prozesse
Telefon +49 (0) 911 321 - 79 372
Telefax +49 (0) 911 321 - 79 373
Medieval Dungeons - the dungeons are found in the cellar vaults of the Old Town Hall. They were set up in the 14th century to serve as cells for prisoners awaiting trial or in custody until their execution. The dungeons were used by the city of Nuremberg in the Middle Ages as a remand prison. The floor, ceilings and walls are lined with wooden panels. They were furnished with a bed, bench, a board as a table and a heating basin in the window. Certain offenders, such as arsonists or slanderers, were kept in the dungeons in specially marked cells. The torture chamber, the so called "chapel",was used to extract confessions. The method of torture was decided by the municipal court, which met in the large room of the old town hall.
im Alten Rathaus - Rathausplatz 2
Telefon +49 (0) 9 11/ 2 31-26 90
Various items of legal history from the entire German-speaking area are presented on 2500 square meters and four floors. They illustrate the legal development from the late Middle Ages up to the 19th century. Instruments of torture and equipment for corporal punishment are shown as well as tools for the execution of outrage and public humiliation. Furthermore, the exhibition includes certificates, books, graphics and seals.
91541 Rothenburg ob der Tauber
Telefon +49 (0) 98 61/ 53 59
"The Hohenzollerns in Franconia" Museum - The Hohenzollerns is one of the most important German dynasties from which numerous kings and emperors emerged. An important base of their rule was the Plassenburg. The exhibition recalls that this family - former burgraves of Nuremberg - once grew up in Franconia and ruled until 1806. The historical tour deals with the princely existence and the life of the Hohenzollerns from medieval times up to the time of their rule in Prussia.
Museum "Die Hohenzollern in Franken"
Plassenburg, Festungsberg 26
Telefon +49 (0) 92 21/ 82 20-0
Telefax +49 (0) 92 21/ 82 20-26
Museum of the city of Eberbach
The Nature around Eberbach with the Neckar river, a huge forest and the new red sandstone mountains of the Odenwald determined the life and work of the citizens for centuries. Center of the museum, located in the historical town hall, is "River Neckar as lifeline and arterial highway", "Forest and Humans" and "Geology und use of the stone". Changing exhibitions. Entrance free. Further information (only in German)
Museum der Stadt Eberbach
Telefon +49 (0) 62 71/ 16 64
Telefax +49 (0) 62 71/ 80 78 82
Museum for the colour blue
Blue is the favourite colour at all, no other colour has so many real fans. No other has such an interesting cultural history, is characterized by so many wondrous phenomena. No other colour has as much mystery and aesthetic potential as blue. Since 2017, the colour blue has finally its own museum, which now presents itself as a real chamber of marvels. Further information (only in German)
Museum für die Farbe Blau
Telefon +49 (0) 62 02/ 70 35 87 0
The scientific collection presents rock formations typical for Heidelberg and the surrounding area. The most prominent exhibit at the museum is the lower jaw of homo erectus heidelbergensis. Discovered near Heidelberg in Mauer, Germany in 1907, the “Heidelberg Man” find was long considered the oldest human fossil in Europe.
Museum für Geologie und Paläontologie
Im Neuenheimer Feld 234-236
Telefon +49 (0) 62 21/ 54 60 47
The Communications Museum focuses on people and the way they communicate - from the first cry of the newborn baby to the chat room. The exhibition is divided up into four areas of communication: sound, images and writing as well as communication via the Internet. Over 400 objects, including historic postal vehicles from the 1950s and 1960s, as well as many media stations make the contents come alive. Interactive elements invite children and adults to communicate, whether in the writing workshop, at the pneumatic postal tubes or as the moderator in a TV studio. The architecture is an essential element of the exhibition design, individually matched to each room's theme. Changing exhibitions on the most diverse aspects of the topic of communications supplement the program.
Museum für Kommunikation
im Verkehrsmuseum Nürnberg, Lessingstraße 6
Telefon +49 (0) 9 11/ 23 08 80
The museum specializes in ecclesiastical art from the 17th to 19th century. The permanent exhibition documents the work of the Jesuits in the Palatinate. A special attraction is a large silver Madonna by Johann Ignaz Saller (1736).
Museum für sakrale Kunst und Liturgie
Merianstraße 1 (Jesuitenkirche)
Telefon +49 (0) 62 21/ 16 63 91
This mansion in the Old Town holds a unique collection of “20th-century Primitive Art” featuring so-called primitive works by amateur artists. A visit to the “Haus Cajeth” is handled as an insider tip and is highly recommended. The adjoining bookshop has a wide selection of books as well as regular exhibitions of works by promising artists still to be heard from.
Museum Haus Cajeth
Telefon +49 (0) 62 21/ 2 44 66
Museum of historical iron hammer in Eckersmühlen - This industrial-historical jewel still produced until 1974. Today, it is a "living museum" in which the guests are vividly shown the art of working in a hammer mill. The iron hammer was in the possession of the family Schäff more than five generations, a far branched hammer smith's dynasty. Next to furnishings also exhibits of the historian archeologist Schäff are exhibited in the mansion. In the saw mill an exhibition shows the way „from the ore to the iron“.
Additionally, there are guided tours and course offers for children and adults.
Museum Historischer Eisenhammer Eckersmühlen
zwischen Roth und Eckersmühlen
Telefon +49 (0) 91 71/ 8 13 29
The permanent exhibition presents the aspects of the town's history; the focus lies on the presentation of the development of the Neckar shipping and its significance for the history of Neckargemünd. This is supplemented by a folkloric and art-historical section as well as special exhibitions.
Museum im Alten Rathaus
Telefon +49 (0) 62 23/ 488-240
Telefax +49 (0) 62 23/ 488-264
The Museum of Industrial Culture and the School Museum in Nuremberg are particularly recommended for classic car enthusiasts. The museum comprises almost 6,000 square metres and is located in the hall of a former screw factory, which was part of the Julius Tafel iron works, established in 1876 and closed down in 1975. Along the so-called Museum Street, exhibits are grouped in ensembles in the historic factory building, focusing mainly on the history of industrialisation, using Nuremberg as an example. Affiliated specialist museums provide a particular additional attraction, including the Nuremberg Motorcycle Museum, the School Museum with its historic classroom, and the "Fun Learning Lab" for hands-on fun and experiments.
Museum Industriekultur und Schulmuseum
Äußere Sulzbacher Straße 62
Telefon +49 (0) 9 11/ 2 31 36 48
Ratibor Palace with Municipal Museum - Ratibor Palace is a hunting lodge from 1537. The magnificent dining and large ceremonial room, which are reports of the impressive life style, are located on the first floor. The rooms of the castle accommodate an exciting collection of the history of the castle and of the town. The "good parlour" permits a look behind the facades of the middle-class houses. The museum also presents a toy collection and potter ceramic collection. Furthermore, there are special exhibitions on a regular basis.
Museum Schloss Ratibor
Telefon +49 (0) 91 71/ 848-532
Tucher Mansion Museum and the Hirsvogel Hall - the domestic world of a prominent 16th century merchant family comes to life again in the Tucher Mansion Museum. The private collection of the Tucher patrician family includes valuable furniture, tapestries, paintings and fine works of the decorative arts. The picturesque Renaissance garden invites you to picnic there on Sundays and offers a splendid view of the magnificent Hirsvogel Hall (originally built 1534, destroyed 1945, reconstructed 2000). Every Sunday, an actress assumes the role of the former lady of the house, Katharina Tucher, and gives a tour of the mansion, completed in 1544, and the Hirsvogel Hall and entices you to explore the historical secrets of the Tucher Mansion.
Museum Tucherschloss mit Hirsvogelsaal
Telefon +49 (0) 9 11/ 2 31 54 21
The locksmith's shop Pflaumer, founded in 1882, was closed after the death of Emil Pflaumer, who was working in the third generation. Today the workshop, whose furnishing remained unchanged over decades, gives an insight into old traditions and developments.
Museum Werkstatt Pflaumer
Telefon +49 (0) 79 41/ 68-118 (Tourist-Information)
Telefax +49 (0) 79 41/ 68-176
Wolfram Eschenbach is one of the most important writers and epic poets of the Middle Ages and the poet of the prominent epic "Parzival". There is not much preserved from his life and since 1989 it has been considered to establish a museum for the emponym of the town. The result is a multimedial museum. Considering architecture, colours and forms the museum brings literature close to the visitor and makes one feel like going through a piece of artwork. Furthermore, the museum offers guided tours with an audioguide.
Museum Wolfram von Eschenbach
Telefon +49 (0) 98 75/ 97 55-34
Telefon +49 (0) 951/ 863-1249
The Natural History Museum Coburg is located on the premises of the court garden. With 700,000 collection units and an exhibition of 2,400 square metres it has the rating of a national museum. The exhibitions show among other things minerals, fossils, home animals and plants, prehistoric men and ethnology. All subject areas are illustrated with big pictures and models, e.g. a replica of an African hut, or of a the mineral tunnel for children.
Telefon +49 (0) 95 61/ 80 81-0
Telefax +49 (0) 95 61/ 80 81-40
The New Museum for Art and Design with its curved glass facade rises over the medieval city walls in the heart of Nuremberg. The art collection contains paintings, sculptures and photography from 1945 to the present. Its main focus includes Eastern European artists, international works of geometric abstraction and concrete art. In the area of design, there is a cooperation with the New Collection - The International Design Museum Munich - one of the internationally leading museums for 20th century applied art. The collection displays selected examples of international design from its holdings. Several exhibitions a year, continually changing presentations of the collections and a wide range of tours and events offer a diversity of inspiration and invite visitors to join in the communication process.
Neues Museum - Staatliches Museum für Kunst und Design
Telefon +49 (0) 9 11/ 24 02 00
In the foyer of the Old Orangery an exhibition on the history of the orangeries is on display all year round. In the New Orangery, the original figures of the palace garden are displayed in the Lapidarium, in a "forest of sculptures". Further information (only in German)
Schlossgarten - Alte und Neue Orangerie
Franconian Switzerland Museum
The museum is located in historical timbered buildings. They belong to the landmarks of the region, due to their location next to the special rock formation which is typical for the Franconian Switzerland. Exhibits from the field of archaeology, history, agriculture, traditional costumes, popular piety and handicraft are shown. A special highlight is the original synagogue from the 18th century.
Special exhibitions, action days and other cultural events complete the annual programme.
Pottenstein-Tüchersfeld: Fränkische Schweiz-Museum
Am Museum 5
Telefon +49 (0) 92 42/ 741-70 90
Over 2000 exhibits, compiled from the collector couple Carin & Dr. Hans Lossnitzer, presented in thirty rooms over two floors: dolls, doll's houses, doll's pram and antique toys from 1800 to 1960.
Telefon +49 (0) 95 61/ 89-14 80
Telefax +49 (0) 95 61/ 89-14 89
President Friedrich Ebert Memorial - The memorial reminds of Friedrich Ebert, born in 1871, who was the first president of the Weimar Republic. The house where he was born, which is open to the public, tells the story about the turbulent life of the tailor's son and forms the memorial's core. The permanent exhibition: "The life and Times of Friedrich Ebert" transmits a lively picture of his life with the aid of photos, objects and medial installations. It also gives insight to the era of the German Empire and Weimar Republic.
Telefon +49 (0) 62 21/ 9 10 70
The museum shows the development of Wimpfen from the fall of the Staufers up to the loss of the imperial immediacy and until the move to Hesse in 1803: the territory of the Imperial City, the relationship to emperor and empire, municipal law, defence, jurisdiction, handicraft and trade, the Jewish community, saline. Collections regarding the history of hospitals, the battle by Wimpfen in 1622 and also technology and forms of half-timbered building.
74206 Bad Wimpfen
Telefon +49 (0) 70 63/ 95 03 13
Telefax +49 (0) 70 63/ 13 52
The Reiss-Engelhorn Museums Mannheim, with a total of 12,600 m² of exhibition space and approximately 1.2 million objects, are among the largest and most important museum complexes in southern Germany. They convey and present cultural-historical past and present in five houses, in the Museum Zeughaus, the Museum Weltkulturen, the Museum Schillerhaus and ZEPHYR - Room for Photography as well as the Museum Bassermannhaus for Music and Art. Further information
D5 und Zeughaus in C5
Telefon +49 (0) 6 21/ 29 3-31 50
After five years of construction the Wahnfried House, Richard Wagner's home in Bayreuth, as well as the Richard Wagner Museum are accessible to the public again. On 26th July 2015 the Richard Wagner Stiftung as well as the city of Bayreuth opened their new and most important museum. The Wahnfried House and the museum present themselves with an extension building and three thematically different permanent exhibitions.
Richard Wagner Museum
Telefon +49 (0) 921/ 75 72 816
The Roman Estate with Bath Ruin - By a great coincidence, one of the best preserved Roman buildings in Baden-Württemberg was discovered in Weinsberg. When planting a tree in 1906, the ground plan of a Roman bath complex at the foot of Weibertreu Castle was uncovered. Further excavations brought to light parts of a Roman residential house. This was proof that the complex had not served military but purely civilian purposes. The town of Weinsberg restored the complex, where the wall and floor heating is clearly visible, and made it accessible to the public.
Römischer Gutshof mit Badruine
Telefon +49 (0) 71 34/ 512-106
Housed in the medieval Dominican nunnery, the museum provides insights into the history of Rothenburg. The arch spans from the early Middle Ages to the epoch as an imperial city to the times of the Nazi dictatorship in Germany and the reconstruction of the city after the Second World War.
With Augmented Reality, visitors receive exciting information about the exhibits and dive into the unique history of the city of Rothenburg ob der Tauber.
91541 Rothenburg ob der Tauber
Telefon +49 (0) 98 61/ 93 90 43
The visitor mine in Bad Friedrichshall is the perfect destination for young and old in any weather. Immerse yourself in the gigantic world underground and learn all kinds of interesting facts about salt. Let yourself be fascinated by the history and mining technology. Experience the 200 million year old history of our earth - 180 m below ground.
After the ride in the pit cage, an unforgettable experience awaits you in the world of the "white gold". Interesting films as well as impressively staged media and laser installations will cast a spell over you. At once real mining sites, you will discover one of the world's largest mining machines and can trigger an effective show blasting yourself. There is also plenty of fun to be had on the 40-meter-long slide.
+++ Closed in 2021 +++
Due to the Covid 19 pandemic, the visitor mine will not open for the 2021 season. In 2022, the usual opening hours are expected to apply again:
Visitor entrances take place from May 1 to October 3 on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays from 9:30 am to 3:30 pm. In addition, the salt mine is also open on Fridays in the month of July until the beginning of the summer vacations in Baden-Württemberg.
Salzbergwerk Bad Friedrichshall (wieder geöffnet 2022)
74177 Bad Friedrichshall
Telefon +49 (0) 7131 959-3303 | Kasse: +49 (0) 7136 271-3334
This internationally unique collection features the artistic works of patients at psychiatric asylums from around 1900. The works were collected by Hans Prinzhorn, physician and art historian. The collection includes about 5000 pieces of art, majoritarian pencil and crayon drawings as well as paintings with watercolour or oil, fabrics and wood sculptures.
Voßstraße 2 (Alt-Klinikum)
Telefon +49 (0) 62 21/ 56 44 92
The Old Latin School, a baroque building from 1748, lastly an elementary school, has housed a museum since 1972/73. In 2004 it was reopened after renovation and redesign and received the Museum Prize of the State Government. The museum shows exhibits from foundations of Theodor Sandel and other donors. In the basement there is a department for geology and palaeontology. Special exhibitions take place regularly.
74592 Kirchberg an der Jagst
Telefon +49 (0) 79 54 /92 18 42
There are 17 large, free-standing sculptures by important 20th and 21st century German and international artists in the small English garden of Heidelberg University Hospital’s Orthopedics Department. Temporary exhibitions are regularly shown in addition to the garden sculptures.
Schlierbacher Landstraße 200a, Heidelberg-Schlierbach
Telefon +49 (0) 62 21/ 38 02 101
Toy Museum - ever since the Middle Ages Nuremberg has been a city of toys. Today, the world-famous Toy Museum with its wealth of exceptional exhibits breathes new life into this great historic tradition over 1,400 square meters of exhibition space. Visitors are greeted by wooden toys on the ground floor. Dolls, exquisite doll houses and optical gadgetry on the first floor provide an insight into the lifeworld of past centuries. The worldwide most important collection of Lehmann tin toys is the focus of a museum section depicting the history of the company. Cars, trains and steam engines are testimony to the outstanding role the Nuremberg toy manufacturer played in the area of technology. In an imaginative children's area under trained supervision little visitors can play to their heart's content. Furthermore, there are multilingual audioguides with special tours for children. With "Kids in top" it is also possible to celebrate birthdays in the museum.
Telefon +49 (0) 9 11/ 2 31 31 64
The Municipal Museum in the "Deutschhof", which puts on top-class permanent and temporary exhibitions, also offers impressive guided tours and workshops. The archaeological collection of the Celts, Romans and Alemanns up to the Franconians in the Middle Ages is an interesting time trip. The museum also shows the art and sculpture collection of Henry Moore, Auguste Rodin and Carl Doerr. In this family- friendly museum you can celebrate birthdays and there are also special exhibitions and lectures.
Städtische Museen im Deutschhof
Telefon +49 (0) 71 31/ 56 31 44
Fembo House City Museum - The Fembo House with its magnificent front and interior illustrates the late renaissance. The Merchant's House, Patrician's Palatial Residence, Map Publishers, Museum - the Fembo House built between 1591 and 1596 at the foot of the Imperial Castle is many-faceted. The entertaining journey through time begins in the 4th upper story with the large wooden model of the Old Town. Visitors then pass through 26 rooms of the house and discover the diverse, ever more intriguing development of a large town. The highlight is the elaborate multivision show “Noricama”, which presents the history of Nuremberg in a colorful audio-visual dramatization. The exhibition forum with its changing presentations is the showcase for Nuremberg's history, art and culture.
Telefon +49 (0) 911 / 2 31 25 95
Telefax +49 (0) 911 / 2 31-25 96
City Museum in the Municipal Cultural Quarter
The Sinsheim City Museum is located in the heart of the city in the historic town hall dating from 1712. Special exhibitions and the collection provide insights into the history, culture and way of life of the people in Sinsheim and the Kraichgau region. From the beginnings of archaeology in southern Germany with antiquity researcher Karl Wilhelmi, the prehistory and early history, the Celtic and Roman settlement, the history as an imperial city in the Middle Ages up to the warlike conflicts of the 17th century, the museum houses numerous historical treasures. One of the museum's focal points is the 1848/49 democracy and freedom movement with its protagonists Franz Sigel and Friedrich Hecker, as well as the emigration of the revolutionaries and other citizens of Sinsheim to America. In the historical roof truss, old crafts are presented, such as a cobbler's workshop or parts of a cigar factory.
Stadtmuseum im Städtischen Kulturquartier
Telefon +49 (0) 72 61/ 40 49 50
The palace and its precious equipment tell the exciting story of the dukes of Coburg before, during and after Prince Albert and Queen Victoria.
Special higlights include the chapel, cabinets, the "beletage", the red parlor and the rose garden. The exhibition of the "Herzog von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha'schen Familie" Foundation comprises paintings, porcelain, a selection of armour and valuable furniture and numerous copies of "Röntgen" furniture, among others a rare piano.
In the new permanent exhibition, the Ducal Clock Collection presents a varied selection of timepieces from different centuries and mediates between past and present of the house of Sachsen-Coburg and Gotha.
Stiftung der Herzog von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha´schen Familie Herzoglicher Kunstbesitz SCG Schloss Callenberg
Telefon Telefon +49 (0) 95 61/ 55 15-0
Telefax Telefax +49 (0) 95 61/ 55 15-55
From 1778 to 1914 students were put in the university lockup for “minor infractions" like nocturnal disturbance. Many passed the time in confinement by carving drawings and sayings into the detention room walls. These “works of art” can be seen to this very day.
Alte Universität, Augustinergasse 2
Telefon +49 (0) 62 21/ 54 35 54
The Technik Museum Sinsheim, the largest private museum in Europe, is located directly on the A 6 motorway, with more than 3,000 exhibits on over 30,000 square metres of hall space. Over 300 classic cars offer a representative cross-section of all car brands and eras. The unique aviation-technical exhibition comprises more than 50 aircraft, including the supersonic aircraft "Concorde" and "Tupolev 144". IMAX 3D movie theatre, event service.
Technik Museum Sinsheim
Telefon +49 (0) 72 61/ 92 99-0
Telefax +49 (0) 72 61/ 92 99-70
Founded by Heidelberg manufacturer Max Berk, the Textile Collection is housed in the former Lutheran church in the Ziegelhausen district of Heidelberg. The collection includes women’s attire, antique patchwork quilts from England and the US, as well as textile garments from India, Bali, and South America. Moreover, the regular special exhibitons, for example the European Quilt-Triennale, serve as attractions.
Textilmuseum Max Berk
Brahmsstraße 8, Heidelberg-Ziegelhausen
Telefon +49 (0) 62 21/ 80 03 17
The "smallest science centre of the world" is an interactive hands-on museum located in the "Mohrenturm", a historic tower in Nuremberg's city wall. Visitors experience scientific phenomena of the human perception, fascinating achievements as well as astonishing illusions.
Turm der Sinne
im Mohrenturm, Spittlertormauer 17
Telefon +49 (0) 9 11/ 9 44 32 81
The University Library stands out with its red sandstone façade adorned with various figures and scenes. Busts of famous scholars are on display on the stairway landings. There is also a regular schedule of temporary exhibitions for visitors. The library’s “Codex Manesse,” a world-famous collection of songs once part of the “Bibliotheca Palatina” holdings, draws many visitors.
Telefon +49 (0) 62 21/ 54 23 80
Pictures and exhibits in the three rooms of the museum depict the history of the University. Now-famous alumni once defended their dissertation theses in the Old Hall - oday this hall serves as the banquet hall of Heidelberg's University. Visitors can piece together the history of Germany’s oldest university by viewing paintings on the walls and ceilings.
Alte Universität, Grabengasse 1
Telefon +49 (0) 62 21/54 35 93
The museum illustrates the geological history of Upper Franconia, particularly the history of life (palaeontology), the bedrock (geology) and the diversity of minerals (mineralogy). In the primeval world museum children as well as adults can playfully deal with the geological history of Upper Franconia at different stations.
Telefon +49 (0) 921/ 51 12 11
The collections in the Palais Weimar encompass works of art and ethnographic artifacts from Asia, Africa, and Oceania. Temporary exhibits regularly present art and culture from various regions of the world.
Völkerkundemuseum (Palais Weimar)
Telefon +49 (0) 62 21/ 2 20 67
Museum Weibertreu - When in 1140 the German king Konrad III forced the castle Weinsberg to surrender, according to the legend, a unique story took place. He allowed women and children to leave freely and allowed the women to take as much of their possessions with them as they could carry. To his surprise, the faithful women carried their husbands out of the castle on their backs, which the king generously granted, since one may not break a king's word. The exhibits in the museum are dedicated to this event, as well as to the blood osters in the Peasant War of 1525 and the history of the castle and town.
Telefon +49 (0) 71 34/512-139
Telefax +49 (0) 71 34/512-199
The museum, donated by August Weygang (1859-1946) from Öhringen, presents an important tin- and fayencecollection as well as furniture of the founders, which give insight to the domestic culture of the middle- and upperclass of Öhringen during the 19th and 20th century.
In the vault cellar and in the special "limes- container" in the garden, there is a section for the findings from the Roman era.
The activities of the Weygang museum, for example the traditional rabbit casting before Easter, aim especially at children. Further information
Telefon +49 (0) 7941/ 35394
Telefax +49 (0) 7941/ 96 09 10
Xylon-Museum and Workshops
On the periphery of the palace garden, the former barracks for invalids is home to "XYLON - Museum + Workshops", a centre for modern prints and drawings. Temporary exhibitions inform about current pictorial and technical positions of these genres. Further information (only in German)
XYLON - Museum + Werkstätten e.V.
Kronenstraße 17 / Schlossgarten 2
Telefon +49 (0) 62 02/ 85 93 93 1
The University of Heidelberg’s Zoology Museum offers exhibits on animal geography as well as the theory of systematics and comparative anatomy. Further areas are tribal history, the evolutionary history of humankind and the protection of species.
Im Neuenheimer Feld 230
Telefon +49 (0) 62 21/ 54 55 56