Corona-Ampel für den
Stand: (Robert-Koch-Institut (RKI), dl-de/by-2-0)
Castles and Palaces
Seßlach, the "Upper Franconian Rothenburg", seems to have remained untouched by time. The medieval town centre is surrounded by a completely preserved town wall with three gates that are closed at weekends. Then it is only possible to walk through the town and visitors can enjoy the flair of bygone days undisturbed. Because of its very special atmosphere, Seßlach was also one of the filming locations for the movies "Luther" and "Robber Hotzenplotz".
The Kommunbrauhaus is one of the few still active.... [More about Seßlach]
Geyersberg Palace, the former Geyersberg castle, lies on a hill high above the small town of Seßlach and is the oldest building. The Geyersburg castle was the official seat of the Bishops of Würzburg and it is said to have been built between 1120 and 1130. In 1154 it is first mentioned as the seat of a Hugo von Sezzelah. During the Merania feud between the Duke Otto II of Merania and the Bishop of Würzburg in 1244 the castle and the town were destroyed. Only 40 years later the castle was rebuilt by Bishop Mangold of Neuenburg.
As of 1290 the castle had been given as a fief to several knights, before in 1337 the Franconian lineage of Lichtenstein settled down for almost 500 years. At the time the Geyersberg lineage had become extinct, the castle passed into the possession of the lineage of Lichtstein-Lahm. Under Ludwig von Lichtenstein the castle was restored in 1818, however, it had to be sold in 1831, which ended the time of the Lords of Lichtenstein in Seßlach.
The castle’s new owner, Heinrich August Bernhard von Pawel-Rammingen, had the inner wall, the gate and the draw-bridge torn down and the moat filled up. According to the taste of the time the castle was redesigned in the new Gothic style, among other things, the tower was equipped with a crenellation. Due to this the original castle character was lost, and the complex was turned into a palace.
In 1839 Duke Rudolf Karl of Ortenburg bought the palace; since 1920 it is in the private possession of the Salb family. Today various rooms as well as the garden can be rented for festivities.
Familie Karl-Georg Salb
Telefon +49 (0) 95 69/ 468
| Heldburg =>