The town of Waldenburg lies in the eastern part of the Hohenlohe Plain in the Swabian-Franconian Forest Nature Park (Naturpark Schwäbisch-Fränkischer Wald). The oldest record of Waldenburg dates from 1253. Waldenburg was first referred to as a town in 1330. In 1533 Waldenburg became the autonomous residence of the later Princes of Hohenlohe-Waldenburg. Until well into the 19th century the town remained within the confines of the area constructed during the Middle Ages. In the last days of the Second.... [More about Waldenburg]
The castle lies at the outmost tip of the 504m high mountain spur with a superb panoramic view with a radius of almost 160 kilometers. It is privately owned and not open to the public. The castle courtyard, however, has public access.
During the 13th century a castle was built here. It has been in the possession of the House of Hohenlohe without interruption since 1253. During the 16th and 17th century the castle was converted into a royal palace and between 1553 and 1679 Waldenburg served as the residence for the lords of Hohenlohe-Waldenburg. During the reconstruction the old keep could not be demolished due to its thick walls. Therefore, it was included into the castle complex and received a construction with a circumferential balcony and stone railings. The stone boys at the corners who are armed with a spear earned him the name "Männlesturm"(Males tower). In 1679, when the line Hohenlohe-Waldenburg died out, the complex decayed. After the Catholic line Hohenlohe-Schillingsfürst took over the castle complex in 1728, the west- and southwing were reconstructed from 1732. In 1791 the castle church was built. The palace was gutted by fire in 1945.
During reconstruction the architects were careful to preserve the outer structure, but much had to be altered inside. In the process, they rediscovered a 65-meter deep well that had been forgotten since the 15th century. Since 1971 the palace has housed the museum "Siegel aus tausend Jahren" (Seals from a Thousand Years).