Kirchberg was first documented in 1265 as "Kirepere". The "new town" became the focus of the Hohenlohe reign in 1365. In 1373 Holy Roman Emperor Charles (Karl) IV in a charter prepared in Cheb in the Czech Republic, gave Count Krafft IV of Hohenlohe permission to build a town in front of his castle Kirchberg an der Jagst - with walls, gates, towers and other fortifications, along with a weekly market and its own ‘high justice’ court (high justice or blood court (German: Blutgericht/Halsgericht).... [More about Kirchberg an der Jagst]
In Kirchberg the upper part of the town and the castle form a complete unity. The castle buildings are grouped round 3 courtyards. In place of the ruins of the castle built in 1240, Michael Herwart and later Servar Körber from Bonn built a 4-wing construction dating from 1590 to 1597 with corner bastions and a Baronial Hall in the rear transversal building. The hall has a wooden ceiling grom the 17 th centruy with wall decorations from the 18 th century. In the rear courtyard on the bastion there is the building for household management, and on one corner an old fortified tower. Expansion and alterations took place from 1738 according to plans of the Ansbach Court Building Director Leopold Retti. The stable buildings and the Widows' Residence, being situated on the near side of the transersal moat, enclose the principle courtyard with its elegant Watchman's House. In 1983 the Orangery was renovated, and in 1988 the Castle Grounds. The Rococo Hall is an impressive background for the castle concerts with tak place from January until November. The Castle Park, which can be visited at any time, originates from the late 18 th century. In the park there is a rare example of a summer house from a former citizen's garden, which can also be viewed. In its interior there are decorative landscape paintings which were probably painted by Valentin Tischbein. The garden sculptures of stone, including Artes personifications from the beginning of the 18 th century as well as some artificial ruins from 1795, make the Castle Park worth seeing. Remains of the former Baroque Castle Garden are on the south-west side of the town with the Orangerie built around 1750. In it there is an ornamental porch with a staircase (around 1799) as a point de vue and frame for the panorama of the Jagst countryside; a typical feature of garden arrangements of that time.
The castle now belongs to the evangelical Home Foundation. For this reason the rooms can only be viewed with an appointment (Tel. 07954/802-0).
Stiftung Haus der Bauern
74592 Kirchberg an der Jagst
Telefon +49 (0) 79 54/ 921547-0