The former summer residence of the Coburg dukes, a jewel of Neo-Gothic architecture, is still in the care of the ducal family of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha. During the 19th century, the family succeeded in rapidly rising to become the most important noble dynasty in the world. Four European royal houses bore her name: Belgium, Portugal, Great Britain and Bulgaria.
Since 1998, Callenberg Castle has housed the Ducal Art Collection SCG with exhibits from four centuries. Guided tours are offered. Various rooms can be rented for celebrations. A castle chapel is also part of the complex. The German Rifle Museum is located in the north-west wing of the castle.
Callenberg was first mentioned in 1122 as the ancestral castle of the knights of "Chalwinberch". The Bishopric of Würzburg in 1231 was followed by the Counts of Henneberg in 1232 and from 1317 by the Lords of Sternberg as owners. In 1592 it fell to Duke Johann Casimir of Saxe-Coburg, who had the medieval castle converted into a hunting lodge. When he died childless in 1633, it passed to the Dukes of Saxe-Meiningen until 1825. In 1826 it was once again given to the Saxe-Coburg line, which still owns it. Duke Ernst I had the upper castle built in 1831. In 1856/57, under his son Ernst II, the lower castle was redesigned in the Neo-Gothic style and given its present appearance. After the death of Ernst II in 1893, Duchess Alexandrine used the palace as her widow's residence and died childless in 1904.
Her great-nephew, Coburg's last ruling Duke Carl Eduard, lived with his family in the castle from 1905 to 1945, and it was modernised in the 1930s. After the Second World War, the castle was occupied by American military and then used by a theatre company, as a home for the elderly and, from 1957, by a women's technical college. In 1972, the ducal family sold the property. In 1982, Andreas Prince of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, who had returned from the USA with his family, bought it back.
Herzoglicher Kunstbesitz SCG
Telefon +49 (0) 95 61/ 55 15-0
Telefax +49 (0) 95 61/ 81 45-20