The Back Castle is the oldest and most interesting of the four castles in Neckarsteinach. Since its destruction during the Thiry Years War, it is in ruins. Of the former castle only the cellar vault of the great hall as well as an outer wall with Gothic arched windows are preserved. The complex, however, was repaired in such a way that numerous structural details such as beam holes and window struts, elements of a drawbridge and the old pavement of the castle courtyard can be seen. On the basis of the foundation walls plans of buildings and fortifications are visible.
On the massive keep, which has a considerable area of eight by eight meters, a covered observation deck is located in 22 meters height. From here you have a wonderful view over the Neckar Valley, Neckarsteinach and the opposite Dilsberg.
The Back Castle is in possession of the State of Hesse and can be visited at anytime.
The construction of the Back Castle begun around 1100 at a strategically excellent place: The lord of the castle could monitor the Neckar Valley as well as the Steinachtal from here. It is the ancestral seat of the free nobles of Steinach, which they received as a fief of the Bishopric of Worms. Bligger of Steinach is mentioned as the lord of the castle from 1142 to 1165. His son, the minnesinger Bligger II. of Steinach extended the castle to an extensive Staufer castle around 1200.
From 1272 the castle experiences an eventful history with phases of decay and phases of extension, however always with a frequent change of owners. In 1803 the complex was sold from the State of Hesse to the Lords of Dorth. But in 1910 the castle returned to the State of Hesse due to high maintenance costs.
Telefon +49 (0) 6229 708914