Since 2004, the castle has been in the hands of Burg Rabenstein Event GmbH, which has completed the renovation and redevelopment activities initiated since 1970, and has brought the castle back to life through versatile use. The history of Rabenstein Castle begins at the end of the 12th century. The oldest part of the complex on the very tip of the rock dates from this period. Already in 1188 a ministerial family appeared in a document, which took over the name of the castle and also had a raven.... [More about Burg Rabenstein]
Rabenstein Castle lies in a dizzy height on top of a rock in the heart of Franconian Switzerland, just 30 kilometres away from Bayreuth. It forms the center of the 65 hectare large natural paradise Rabenstein Castle, to which the Castle Hotel, Sophie's Cave - one of the most beautiful dripstone caves in Germany -, the falconry, the tavern, the beer garden and also numerous forest and hiking trails belong.
The history of the castle begins towards the end of the 12th cenutry. The oldest part of the complex right in front on top of the pinnacle dates from this period. Already in 1188 a ministerial house appeared documentarily, which took over the name of the castle and also had a raven in their coat of arms. The castle belonged to the lords of Waischenfeld and became the property of the Schluesselbergs, who expanded the front castle, after the lineage died out in 1219.
Over the centuries the castle owners changed frequently. After several destructions, as for instance in the city war in 1388 and in the ruler's war in 1460, it was reconstructed, extended and redesigned. The structural changes were especially blatant, when the castle came into the ownership of the Rabensteins again in 1557 after 300 years. Daniel von Rabenstein let it be redisigned into a three-winged Renaissance complex, which unfortunately was destroyed in the Thirty Years' War. The lineage died out in 1742.
The manor Rabenstein was bought by the counts von Schoenborn. On the occasion of a visit of the Bavarian King Ludwig I. and his wife Theresie, count Franz-Erwein redesigned the half ruined complex 1829/30. The castle along with the lands remained in the possession of the counts von Schoenborn until 1975.
Since 2004 the castle is in the hands of Burg Rabenstein Event GmbH, which has completed the renovation and repair works, that have been initiated since 1970, and has filled the castle with life through versatile use.