Katalog

GPX-Daten

http://www.burgenstrasse.de/uk/Contact-and-Service/Newsletter.html

Eichstätt

      Castles and Palaces

The university, baroque and episcopal city of Eichstätt, located a good 60 kilometres south of Nuremberg on the banks of the Altmühl, marks the southernmost point of the Castle Road. Framed by the Jura plateaus of the Southern Franconian Alb, it also forms the centre of the Altmühltal Nature Park.  The earliest settlement of what is now the town area took place as early as the Hallstatt period (8th to 6th century BC) approximately on the site of the cathedral; later, Celts settled in ‘Eistedd’..... [More about Eichstätt]



Eichstaett BSBastionsgarten01 Foto ChristaBrand  Eichstätt – Bastion Garden (c) BSV / Christa Brand
Eichstätt – Bastion Garden (c) BSV / Christa Brand.Eichstaett BSBastionsgarten02 Foto ChristaBrand  Eichstätt – Bastion Garden (c) BSV / Christa Brand
Eichstätt – Bastion Garden (c) BSV / Christa Brand.Eichstaett BSBastionsgarten03 Foto ChristaBrand  Eichstätt – Bastion Garden (c) BSV / Christa Brand
Eichstätt – Bastion Garden (c) BSV / Christa Brand.

Bastionsgarten mit Pflanzen aus dem Hortus Eystettensis

Based on the copperplate engraving ‘Hortus Eystettensis’ published in 1613 by Basilius Besler (1561-1629), the ‘Bastion Garden’ at Willibaldsburg Castle was laid out by the Bavarian Palace Administration and opened in 1998.

This educational garden about the flora of the historically significant copperplate engraving ‘Hortus Eystettensis’ is probably unique in Germany. As in the plant book, the planting follows the seasonal flowering period. The garden is also reminiscent of the once famous botanical garden of Prince-Bishop Johann Conrad von Gemmingen, which Besler had laid out from 1592 onwards.


Bastionsgarten mit Pflanzen aus dem Hortus Eystettensis
Schloss- und Gartenverwaltung Ansbach
Burgstraße 19
85072 Eichstätt
Telefon Telefax: +49 (0) 981 953839-0
Telefax Telefax: +49 (0) 981 953839-40
sgvansbach@ bsv.bayern.de
www.schloesser.bayern.de

Eichstaett Residenz
.Eichstaett Treppenhaus-Residenz
.Eichstaett Residenz
.

Ehemalige Fürstbischöfliche Residenz

The former prince-bishop's residence is the work of Eichstätt court architects Jakob Engel, Gabriel de Gabrieli and Maurizio Pedetti. Prince-Bishop Johann Martin von Eyb (1697-1703) commissioned Jakob Engel to build a new residence on the site of the so-called ‘Alten Hof’ (old courtyard), the west wing of which was completed in 1702. Under Bishops Johann Anton I Knebel von Katzenellenbogen (reigned 1705-1725) and Franz Ludwig Schenk von CasteIl (reigned 1725-1736), Gabriel de Gabrieli completed the entire building by around 1725.

In 1767/68, Prince-Bishop Raymund Anton Graf von Strasoldo (1757-1781) had Pedetti install the Hall of Mirrors and the staircase in the west wing; the ceiling paintings are by Johann Michael Franz and the stucco work by Johann Jakob Berg. The last prince-bishop, Joseph von Stubenberg (1790-1802), commissioned a redesign of the interior in the classicist style. Under the Dukes of Leuchtenberg, who ruled the Principality of Eichstätt from 1817, the interior was furnished in the Empire style. After the Leuchtenberg possessions reverted to Bavaria (1855), the building initially housed a district and appeals court, later a regional court (until 1944) and a local court (until 1973). Since 1977, the former residence has served as the main building of the Eichstätt District Office


Ehemalige Fürstbischöfliche Residenz
Landratsamt Eichstätt
Residenzplatz 1
85072 Eichstätt
Telefon Telefon: +49 (0) 8421 700
www.landkreis-eichstaett.de

Hofgarten.mit.Sommerresidenz  Eichstätt – Court garden with summer residence
Eichstätt – Court garden with summer residence.Eichstaett Hofgarten Luftbild DietmarDenger  Eichstätt – Court garden from above (c) Dietmar Denger
Eichstätt – Court garden from above (c) Dietmar Denger.Eichstaett Hofgarten Pavillon DietmarDenger  Eichstätt – Pavillon in the Court garden (c) Dietmar Denger
Eichstätt – Pavillon in the Court garden (c) Dietmar Denger.Eichstaett Sommerresidenz vomHofgartenaus  Eichstätt – Summer residence seen from the court garden
Eichstätt – Summer residence seen from the court garden.

Hofgarten der Eichstätter Sommerresidenz

The 22,480 m² courtyard garden of the Eichstätt summer residence was originally a representative Baroque garden designed by the prince-bishop's master builder Gabriel de Gabrieli, who also played a decisive role in shaping the Baroque appearance of the town. Strictly geometric avenues of small trees and carefully trimmed, partly ornamental low hedges characterised the historic rectangular layout, crowned by three magnificent garden pavilions. 

After secularisation, the Dukes of Leuchtenberg redesigned the courtyard garden in the style of English gardens to suit the tastes of the new era. With the conversion of the summer residence into the administrative headquarters of the university, the adjoining part of the garden was redesigned as a Baroque complex. Today, with around 180 trees and shrubs of more than 50 species, the Hofgarten also functions as a botanical garden (arboretum).


Hofgarten der Eichstätter Sommerresidenz
Ostenstraße 24
85072 Eichstätt

Eichstaett Willibaldsburg Luftbild
.Eichstaett Willibaldsburg vonoben  Eichstätt – Willibaldsburg Castle from above
Eichstätt – Willibaldsburg Castle from above .Eichstaett Willibaldsburg Neben c JuergenIsl  Eichstätt – Willibaldsburg Castle in the fog (c) Jürgen Isl
Eichstätt – Willibaldsburg Castle in the fog (c) Jürgen Isl.Eichstaett Wanderer Willibaldsburg DietmarDenger  Eichstätt – Hikers in front of Willibaldsburg Castle (c) Dietmar Denger
Eichstätt – Hikers in front of Willibaldsburg Castle (c) Dietmar Denger.Eichstaett Radler Willibaldsburg  Eichstätt – Willibaldsburg Castle, side facing away from the town
Eichstätt – Willibaldsburg Castle, side facing away from the town.

Willibaldsburg

Embraced by the Altmühl River, which makes a sharp bend here, Willibaldsburg Castle stands on the ridge of the same name that was created as a result. At 420 metres, it is the second longest castle complex in Bavaria and is named after the city's first bishop, the Anglo-Saxon monk Willibald. Its imposing appearance and dominant position in the cityscape reflect the centuries-long importance of the bishops for the city of Eichstätt and the entire region.

Even before the foundation stone for today's castle fortress was laid in 1355, there was an early fortification on this site. Mentioned in documents dating back to 1070, it is said to have consisted of a large stone house, a tower and a chapel, secured by ring walls and moats, but it did not yet serve as the bishop's seat – this was located in the town next to the cathedral. However, as the bishops themselves were responsible for the military security of their diocese from 1305 onwards, a more easily defensible complex became necessary. Bishop Berthold von Zollern therefore had the previous building converted into a fortified castle, which served as the bishop's residence for almost 400 years. During this time, the castle was repeatedly expanded and reinforced.

The fundamental redesign into a representative Renaissance palace based on Italian models began under Bishop Johann Konrad von Gemmingen (reigned 1595–1612) according to plans by Augsburg city architect Elias Holl. Around the same time, the Hortus Eystettensis botanical garden, which later became world-famous, was also laid out on the castle grounds. However, the two-towered façade of the ‘Gemmingen building’, which still dominates the appearance of the complex today, was not built until Johann Konrad's successor, Bishop Johann Christoph von Westerstetten (reigned 1612-1636). It originally had three storeys and onion domes on the towers, but these were removed in the 19th century. The new castle itself was never completed and was later partially demolished, but even in its reduced form, Willibaldsburg Castle is considered one of the most important buildings of the German Renaissance.

In 1725, its era as a bishop's seat came to an end and was moved back to the city. Willibaldsburg Castle subsequently housed several offices and later served as a hospital and prison. After secularisation, the complex became private property, was cleared out and partially levelled. In 1829, the state of Bavaria bought back the semi-ruin and carried out makeshift repairs, after which the huge complex was used as barracks for a time. In 1900, the castle was listed as a historic monument. This was followed by various ecclesiastical and secular uses, including as SS barracks in 1944/45 and as accommodation for displaced persons from 1945 to 1955.

Since 1962, the castle has been owned by the Bavarian Administration of State-owned Palaces, Gardens and Lakes, which has had the complex extensively renovated. Today, Willibaldsburg Castle is home to three high-profile attractions: the Jura Museum with its famous Archaeopteryx and other fossils from the Solnhofen limestone slabs, the Museum of Prehistory and Early History with important archaeological finds, and the Bastion Garden, where the once world-famous Renaissance garden ‘Hortus Eystettensis’ has been preserved since 1998.


Willibaldsburg
Schloss- und Gartenverwaltung Ansbach
Burgstraße 19
85072 Eichstätt
Telefon Telefon +49 (0) 08421 4730
sgvansbach@bsv.bayern.de
www.schloesser.bayern.de

<= Spalt | Roth =>