Pfarrweisach was once one of the original parishes and as evidence for this proudly displays St. Kilian on its crest (St. Kilian was an Irish missionary bishop and apostle of Franconia). In 1232 the Bishop of Würzburg sub-divided the oversized diocese; the area was first named thanks to this. The current Catholic parish church was built around 1500. Its gatehouse from 1609 and the high church wall lead to the conclusion that this was once a fortified church. Due to its central location Pfarrweisach developed into a centre for trade and transport. Two of the inns of the time, the "Golden Eagle" (Goldene Adler) from 1508 and the "Rose" from 1511 still exist today. Their half-timbered framework, their original inn signs and inscriptions are a much photographed eye-catcher. Pfarrweisach lies in the middle of the "Burgenkundliche" nature trail. Lichtenstein castle, which consists of two parts, a north and a south castle, is part of the community. The Barons of Rotenhan still live in the South Castle (Südburg) to this day. Since 1553 the North Castle (Nordburg) has been an extremely interesting ruin, which is now easily accessible. It is the “legendary castle” of the area. The nearby “Devil’s stone” (Teufelsstein) should not be confused with the “Healing stones” (Heilsteine), which attracted mystics to the area.
Address of local council: Community of Pfarrweisach, Bahnhofstrasse 2, 96176 Pfarrweisach, Germany