Teplá Monastery was established in 1193 by the blessed Hroznata, member of an aristocratic family and the highest commander of the border guards in the Teplá region. Twelve monks lived in the monastery in 1197, their main task being colonisation of the sparsely settled region and propagation of the Christian faith. The activity of the monks was not limited to church matters alone. They performed spiritual administration of the region, introduced various improvements in the economy, devoted themselves.... [More about Teplá]
The Praemonstratensian monastery in Teplá was founded in 1193 by the Czech noble Hroznata, who was the royal administrator of the large western border - territory and the people in that region. First brothers came to the monastery in 1197 from Strahov in Prague The initial mission of the monastery in the 12th century was not just to spread the Christian faith, but to colonize the sparsely - populated outer territories of the kingdom, too. The Praemonstratensian Brothers engaged in charity, in education, in the sciences and arts. For almost eight centuries, the Praemonstratensian Brothers of Teplá formed and shaped the economic and cultural history of western Bohemia. On the night of April 13th, 1950, Teplá monastery was seized by the State secret - police. The Praemonstratenser Brothers were arrested and put in a detention - camp at Broumov. From 1950, the Teplá monastery was used as a barracks for the Czechoslovakian Army. With the exception of the library and the church (which were opened to the public in 1958), the military occupied all the buildings of the monastery until 1978. From 1978 until 1990, the monastery was in the hands of the State Office for the Preservation of Historical Monuments in Plzeň. At the end of 1990, the monastery was returned to its original owner — the Praemonstratensian Order. Currently, the Teplá monastery community consists of 17 members who administer 25 parishes in the western Bohemian region. The oldest building of the monastery is the Church of the Annunciation. It was built between 1193 and 1232, in romanesque - gothic style. The buildings of the cloister and the chapter - house of the abbot were built between 1690 and 1721 under the supervision of the famous baroque architect, Christof Dientzenhofer. The monastery is encircled by a number of buildings mostly built in the 19th century. they are the infirmary, stables, estate - offices, a large 19th century barn (converted into a modern hotel in 1993), an early - baroque granary, the old restaurant, the baroque, octagonal house of Dr. Nehr (so - called “gloriet”). The buildings of the library and museum represent the youngest part of the monastery - complex. They were built between 1902 and 1907 in the new baroque style. At the back of the monastery is situated an English park. The abbey offers to it´s guests guided tours, participation in the church´s divine services, concerts and exhibitions. The currently accessible parts of the abbey are the cloister, library (the library contains about 100,000 volumes in size, it is the second–biggest library in the czech republic) and exhibits from the abbey - museum.