Teplá Monastery was established in 1193 by the blessed Hroznata, member of an aristocratic family and the highest commander of the border guards in the Teplá region. Twelve monks lived in the monastery in 1197, their main task being colonisation of the sparsely settled region and propagation of the Christian faith. The activity of the monks was not limited to church matters alone. They performed spiritual administration of the region, introduced various improvements in the economy, devoted themselves to education, the sciences, arts and social care. The monastery significantly influenced the history of West Bohemia for almost 800 years. In the night from 13 to 14 April 1950, the monastery was seized by the national security service; the monks were arrested and taken away to a so-called detention camp in Broumov. All of the monastery buildings were used from 1950 until 1978 as a barracks for the Czechoslovak Army. Only the library and the church were open to the public from 1958 as a cultural monument. In 1978, the whole monastery was taken over by the State Authority for Monument Care in Plzeň. The monastery was returned to its original owners at the end of 1990 – the Premonstratensian order. The Premonstratensian monastery in Teplá currently has 17 members who each administer one church in Teplá and 15 parishes in West Bohemia. The oldest part of the monastery preserved to date is the monastery church, built in 1193 – 1232 in a Romanesque-Gothic style. In 1690 – 1721, the eminent Baroque builder, Kryštof Dientzenhofer, constructed the building of the prelacy and convent. The other monastery buildings mainly date back to the 19th century. The youngest part of the monastery, the library and the former museum, were built in 1902 – 1907 in the neo-Baroque style. The monastery is surrounded by an English park. Services are held in the monastery, as are concerts and exhibitions. During tours, it is possible to view the building of the convent, the library with 100,000 books and exhibits from the monastery collections. The church is only included in the tour when services are not being held.