The salt town of Bad Friedrichshall was created in 1933/35 by merging the former free imperial village of Kochendorf with the communities of Jagstfeld and Hagenbach. The place name 'Friedrichshall' goes back to the first King of Württemberg, Friedrich I, who successfully mined for salt here between 1812 and 1816. In 1951 Bad Friedrichshall received its town charter. In the course of community reform in 1972 the community of Duttenberg and then in 1975 the community of Untergriesheim joined Bad Friedrichshall..... [More about Bad Friedrichshall]
The Teutonic Order Castle Heuchlingen rises high above on a steep hill over the Jagst river, approximately three kilometres above its confluence into the river Neckar. It is assumed that the complex originally included a settlement, perhaps it had been only a large farmstead, whose beginnings might date back to the 6th till the 8th centuries. It was probably as early as in the 12th century that a castle zu Huchelheim was built, which together with the underlying mill was first mentioned in 1222. The lord of the castle was cited to be Henricus de Huchelheim. This is a Franconian name and means "Home of Huchilo". By as early as 1330 this noble family no longer had any possessions in Heuchlingen.
In the subsequent time, the abbey of Ellwangen gave the castle and possessions to different noblemen, the complex was turned into a so-called Ganerbenburg, a castle complex inherited and inhabited by several noble families at the same time.
When in 1484 the Order of the Teutonic Knights took over the rulership in this region, Heuchlingen also passed into their possession in the years to follow. At the beginning of the 16th century the castle became the seat of a German Unteramt (subdivision) in the German Oberamt of Gundelsheim (district’s administrative authority), which it remained for about 300 years. In the German Peasants' War 1525 Heuchlingen Castle was destroyed. In 1530 the castle was reconstructed in the style of a Renaissance castle under the supervision of Walter von Cronberg, the 38th Grand Master of the Teutonic Order. By the middle of the 18th century extensive rebuilding was carried out, which accounts for today's appearance of Heuchlingen Castle.
In 1806 Frederick I, the first King of Württemberg, seized Heuchlingen Castle together with all pertinent rights. Today, it is the centre of an about 100-hectare agricultural property.
74177 Bad Friedrichshall
The original Lehen Castle was first mentioned in 1294 under the estate of the lords of Kochendorf. It was a moated castle built to secure the ford for the Nibelungen road over the Kocher River. In 1553 this moated castle, which by then had become a ruin, was demolished. A new moated Renaissance palace was built in its stead by order of Wolfgang Conrad Greck von Kochendorf and his wife Sibylle von Gemmingen-Guttenberg. It served among other things as a hunting lodge for the kings of Württemberg. In the 18th century the former moat was filled in. This area now represents a small park with trees and rose beds. In 1953 the palace was converted into a hotel and restaurant. Between 2002 and 2005 it was restored once again, so that the building, now under preservation oder, can today offer its guests modern comfort within a historic ambience.
The massive mountain castle on the Lindenberg mountain in Kochendorf, a part of the town of Bad Friedrichshall, is also called Greckenschloss or Grecken Palace. It owes its name to its former owners, the Grecken of Kochendorf, a lesser noble lineage.
Wolf Conrad Greck II of Kochendorf had the castle built in Renaissance style between 1599 and 1602. This style particularly shows in the two curved Renaissance gables adorned with obelisks. Grecken Castle constitutes one example of the manors this way meeting the ambitious feudal life of the lower nobility of that time. A moat for defending against attacks by enemies separates the castle from the Lindenberg mountain towards the east.
In the Thirty Years’ War the building was severely damaged, but repaired by 1661. After the Grecken had died out, in 1762 the palace passed into the possession of the Odenwald knightly canton in 1762, in 1806 it became part of Württemberg.
After 1806 Grecken Castle served various purposes and in 1829/30 it passed into private possession. For some time it housed a cigar factory, later a liqueur factory. In 1914 the municipality of Kochendorf acquired the complex.
In World War II Grecken Castle was also severely damaged. After 1945 is was used for refugee dwellings. In the course of the years the rooms have been made available to elementary school. Since 2004 extensive reconstruction works have been carried out on the building.